Discover more from User Experiences that Matter
How Tech Giants Design For Transgender Users–Or Don’t
At best, it was inconvenient to explain the situation to potential guests. At worst, potential guests might have suspected some kind of scheme. By design, Airbnb mines your history to build your profile, and that’s incredibly problematic for transgender people who’ve established a new life. In this sense, it’s a perfect example of what happens when design isn’t inclusive by default–when a decent solution for 98% of the population can be extremely ostracizing for the remaining 2%.How Tech Giants Design For Transgender Users–Or Don’t
Changing your name on a profile might be problematic and occasionally impossible. Changing your gender could possibly just be a dropdown but to have it reflect that change on the entire site takes commitment. Well done Airbnb.